Why I like Capoeira
This was originally posted on blogger here.
In June 2010 I started Capoeira while in Lawrence, Kansas under Celso Wills. I stopped for a few months after moving to Los Angeles in November of 2010. I picked it up again in the spring under Contra Mestre Xingu and have been training under him ever since at Valley Capoeira. I go as much as possible every week, each session usually being about 2 grueling hours with the heat in the gym turned up as high as possible. Why? Because it's about:
- Fun! I love doing Cartwheels!
- Weight control.
- Personal Challenge.
- Showing off.
- Learning new moves I never imagined before I began.
- Trying to stop being the member of my family who can't play musical instruments.
- Overcoming my fears of singing in public.
- Showing them whippersnappers how us old people do it.
- Making new friends and joining a community.
- Playing in the roda with all my new friends. :-)
- Having several hours a day where I get to just be a complete newbie and work my butt off.
Capoeira at PyCon?
Anyone up for trying or doing Capoeira at PyCon? Let me know either here or at @pydanny and if I get enough people I'll get my Mestre to teach a session and give a demo!
1 comments captured from original post on Blogger
Henrique Bastos said on 2012-02-08
Very cool! Art brings balance to our cientific minds.
Tags: friends capoeira legacy-blogger